Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] New tape drives not appearing in /dev/rmt.

2007-12-18 14:26:48
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] New tape drives not appearing in /dev/rmt.
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:07:39 +0000
On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 12:13:38PM -0500, Peter Vines wrote:
> SUN's response is that my st.conf is missing:
>
> name="st" parent="fp" target=0;
>
> >From looking at old files, this line was probably removed by mistake in 2005
> >during another drive configuration, and obviously is not needed for the
> >existing L700 and 9840 drives which are working fine.
>
> Now to find time and get permission to boot the production server...

Just for future use, it's often possible to reload 'st' without a
reboot.

Unlike the 'sd' driver, you can probably stop using the 'st' driver for
a minute (any time no drives are in use or "open" in an application).
If so, use 'modinfo' to find the id of the 'st' driver, then use
'modunload -i <id>' to unload it.  After that, simply accessing a device
will reload the driver, and it will reread the st.conf at that time.

On more recent versions of Solaris you may be able to use 'update_drv'
instead, but the above will work on older versions as well.