Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] using Linux client to backup esx (VMware)

2007-11-13 11:45:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] using Linux client to backup esx (VMware)
From: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>
To: "mark wragge" <mark_t_wragge AT yahoo DOT ie>, veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:21:30 -0500
Actually, more than just port 13782 is necessary, assuming this is ESX 3.

They have a checkbox for "NetBackup" in their Security configuration (a lousy GUI front end for their wrapper for IP Chains that does less than IP Chains would have let you do... sigh), but the ports they list have nothing to do with anything useful. (They're in the general range that NetBackup uses but don't do anything related to the services needed on a NetBackup client.)

In order to backup ESX 3 clients, I do this on the client side:

esxcfg-firewall -o 2301,tcp,in,hpim
esxcfg-firewall -o 13782,tcp,in,bpcd
esxcfg-firewall -o 13724,tcp,out,vnetd
esxcfg-firewall -o 13720,tcp,out,bprd

and then on the NetBackup master require vnetd for the client (ie, enable no callback: bpclient –client <hostname> -add –no_callback 1).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
Radian Group Inc, Unix/Linux/VMware Sysadmin / Backup & Recovery