Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Which tape drive type for DLT7000 tape drives and NetBackup 3.4

2007-11-07 18:47:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Which tape drive type for DLT7000 tape drives and NetBackup 3.4
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 23:31:18 +0000
On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 01:58:42PM -0800, Andy Sparrow wrote:
> An earlier poster alluded to this phenomena.
>
> That header information will never be overwritten by any DLT drive
> once written.
>
> And you can't access it via regular commands like mt, dd etc. to
> overwrite it either.

That's not correct for DLT.  Writing a block at BOT will change the
density for the remaining writes.  Writing to any other location on the
tape will continue using the existing density.

So a simple 'mt rewind ; dd if=/dev/zero of=<correct device> count=1'
should set the density.

See section 2.4.2 in the DLT7000 product manual
http://downloads.quantum.com/dlt7000/dlt7000productmanual.pdf

It could be that it's an old tape that has never been changed to the
correct density, but my bet is that something else is going on.