Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows clients - open file backups and exclude lists

2007-11-07 10:42:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows clients - open file backups and exclude lists
From: "rcarlisle" <rcarlisle AT serverwarecorp DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 10:25:30 -0500
Ok, I am coming from more of a Unix admin side of the house and trying to learn more about NBU with Windows.  So, for all you Windows NBU admins I have some questions about snapshots and exclude lists:

1.  I know VSP is supposed to be enabled by default, which is better to use VSP or VSS (in an all 2003 environment..I know VSS will not work for anything less than 2003/Vista)

2.  I am assuming that for any client that I want to use open file backups, I need to configure them under the master server, host properties, client attributes section...correct?

3.  Other than adding the client into that section, does anything else need to be done on the client to enable open file backups using either VSP or VSS?
4.  I know that cache size can play an issue in open file backups...any recommendations for cache sizing, and how do I verify/change it on a windows system

5.  Any other things that I should be aware of with open file backups?

6.  For window systems, are there any recommendations for files that should be excluded on all windows servers and, if so, will excluding those files effect collecting information for BMR

Thanks for your help.

Renee Carlisle
ServerWare Corporation