Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Preventing duplication from using tapes

2007-11-05 11:37:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Preventing duplication from using tapes
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:05:39 -0500

Is there any way to mark a tape temporarily in such a way that Duplication would not select it but it would still be available when restore did?

Background:

Were using NBU 6.0 MP4.

We do data refreshes on demand from Production backups to Dev/Test environments.

Typically we suspend the tapes used for the Production backup after it completes to prevent them being used so as to have them free when we do the restore.   This works fine most of the time because the backup being suspended is from split BCV mounts of our main Production DB that have been mounted on the NBU master server and we run duplications from that same master server.

However, we have some other Production databases that were backed up on their native hosts (which are media servers) and need to be restored to a different host (which is also a media server).   While suspending the tapes prevents them from being used by backups on the original host it does not prevent the duplication job from selecting the tapes to mount.

We do eventually want the duplication but want to defer it until the restore is done so need a method similar to suspending a tape that allows us to change its status temporarily then revert it once the restore has been done.