Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Incremental backs up all files

2007-11-01 08:02:43
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Incremental backs up all files
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 06:47:00 -0500
> I have a FULL/INC for a LUN on a client.  When the LUN is mounted on
> another client (for redundancy) and the incremental is run on the new
> client, it runs off and backs up all the files, not just the new ones.
>
> Is there a way of tricking netbackup into thinking its already run a
> FULL on the new client?

Typically the way this is done is to set up a virtual DNS name that follows
the LUN and to do the backups by that name.  When the LUN moves, so should
the DNS entry.  We're doing this with Windows, Linux, and Solaris clusters
today.  VMS clients, of course, doesn't need this sort of crap since the
clusters are active/active.

You'll still need to do one more full under the new virtual name, but after
that your full/inc policy will work properly.

   .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD
Mounds View, MN, USA