Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to use different network interfaces

2007-10-31 08:48:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to use different network interfaces
From: "Barber, Layne Mr CTR US DISA CDM2" <layne.barber.ctr AT csd.disa DOT mil>
To: <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 07:27:13 -0500

First off, NBU 6.0MP5, HP-UX.

I have a master/media server with an STK L180 library and an Scalar24 library. The L180 is used for “normal” backups. The Scalar24 (which has only 2 LTO-3 drives) was added as part of a special project to migrate several clients to a different location. Basically backup those clients, send the tapes to new location and restore the data.

In an effort to increase the data through-put, I added 2 additional GB network connections. So now I have the following interfaces:

Jac01.x.x.x  Gigabit (original interface for non migrating clients)

Jac01v1.x.x.x  Gigabit

Jac01v2.x.x.x  Gigabit

How can I best configure NBU to have as much data as possible stream to the 2 LTO-3 drives in order to speed up the backups? I know I could create an STU on each interface and set the policies to use them, but that would seem to just make the jobs wait as other jobs tie up the drives. What about using the “specified network interface” for the clients? If I do that, how can I verify that the data is actually moving on the new interfaces instead of the original?

Help?

Thank You,

Layne Barber
MCSE 2K 2K3, Master-CNE, CompTIA A+, Security+
Systems Analyst I
Unisys Corp.
DISA Montgomery