Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Ha: Re: LotusNotes backup strategy

2007-10-17 01:25:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Ha: Re: LotusNotes backup strategy
From: Anton V Panyushkin <APanyushkin AT beeline DOT ru>
To: Karl.Rossing AT federated DOT ca
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:09:03 +0400
Здравствуйте,

We have installed dedicated GbE network card into Domino server and take
advantage of multistream backup by using NEW_STREAM directive. Every stream
goes to its respective tape drive. So overall backup spead is about 50-60
Mb/s. Network card utilization is about 80%. That looks great!

С уважением,
Антон Панюшкин,
8 962 998 90 67
apanyushkin AT beeline DOT ru

veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu написано 16.10.2007 18:10:41:

> We have several Domino servers and have been able to utilise point
> in time restores.
>
> Our win2k3 mail server backs up 350GB at 10-12MB/sec using the notes
> agent. Doing an off-line backup we are able to do 25-30MB/Sec
>
> We are hoping to move our mail server in the new year back to
> Solaris. We hopefully should see 25-30MB/sec backup times.
>
> We still do nightly FULLS and have touched lightly on daily notes
> transaction only backups. They seem to work fine.
>
> Our notes admin will be implementing a notes archive server before
> year end. The hope is that our daily mail backup volume will
> decrease and that we can move data to the archive server on a
> quarterly basis. The archive server will be backed up quarterly
> while the email server will be backed up daily. I don't think we
> will be using veritas Vault.
>
> Karl
>
> veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu wrote on 10/05/2007 01:48:09
PM:

> > We use the notes agent, and write about 380GB of data to tape, coming
> > from two servers.  The mailboxes are split by alphabet.  Average
> > throughput to tape is about 8 to 10 MB/sec from each client, and we do
> > full backup every night.  We keep the weekend fulls at a different
> > retention than the weekdays, and backing up this much data makes a
> > recovery very simple.  I have reviewed the incremental notes backup,
and
> > it appears to only get the transaction logs. We have not tested a
> > restore from this type of backup, so I don't know how well it works.  I
> > think we might just be lucky so far that we've never needed to roll a
> > data file forward from logs.  Usually we're restoring the entire .nsf
> > file and letting users attach to the current and previous one to manage
> > the differences.
> >
> > Along with the full .nsf backups for mail, we also get the transaction
> > logs.  I don't think I've ever needed to use them.
> >
> > -Jon
> >

> > > Hi Boris,
> > >
> > > We did transaction log bkups until recently, as we were never able to
get
> > > our "point in time" recoveries to work. I suspect that it's
> because of the
> > > length of time it takes to do the database backup (couple of
> days for just
> > > over 1TB over the LAN). We also multi-streamed the transaction and
> > > database backups to ensure that the transaction log file(s) would be
> > > reinitialized.
> > >
> > > I'm still VERY interested in seeing how other sites are doing their
Notes
> > > backups/restores.
> > >
> > > /Steve
> > > ---