Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] (Conclusion) Are my SQL DBA's lying to me?

2007-10-15 08:09:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] (Conclusion) Are my SQL DBA's lying to me?
From: "Mike L. Varney" <mlv03 AT healthresearch DOT org>
To: bobbyrjw AT comcast DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 07:53:05 -0400

As a Sybase DBA who deals with a very similar type of backup setup, I'd let
it do the individual backups rather than letting them go to a filesystem
and backing them up bulk.  I find doing logical restores especially much
easier if my databases are talking right to NetBackup (via the agent)
rather than adding in the intermediate filesystem step (where the DB server
can't access the backup data directly).

-- M

             "Bobby Williams"
             <bobbyrjw@comcast
             .net>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu>
             veritas-bu-bounce                                          cc
             s AT mailman.eng DOT aub

             urn.edu                                               Subject
                                       [Veritas-bu]  (Conclusion) Are my
                                       SQL DBA's lying to me?
             10/13/2007 07:24
             AM

             Please respond to
             bobbyrjw@comcast.
                    net

I will take the Audience answer that each dbf of the instance comes as a
separate backup job.

I think that the best answer is convert to a disk based backup and not use
the SQL agent.

Thanks for the input.

(It is nice to be able to ask this group for answers and opinions about
issues that we don't see a lot of)

Bobby Williams
2205 Peterson Drive
Chattanooga, Tennessee  37421