Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] BMR boot server on Solaris

2007-10-12 07:36:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] BMR boot server on Solaris
From: "rcarlisle" <rcarlisle AT serverwarecorp DOT com>
To: "'rcarlisle'" <rcarlisle AT serverwarecorp DOT com>, <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:21:12 -0400
Finally received an answer on this from Symantec since Sun still swears they
don't support bootp:

*SunOS and Solaris OS do not include the standard bootp protocol as part of
their OS; instead, they use a proprietary bootp protocol:rpc.bootparamd.
rpc.bootparamd will perform the same task as bootp

In  Solaris, Instead  of the boot protocol we make use of is bootparams.  It
is a modified bootp - uses the same port but it is initiated by a UDP-based
broadcast protocol over port 67.

bootparamd was also not listed as a svc by default, but after searching for
it I was able to find the parameters to start it and get the service
running. BMR is working great now.

Reneé Carlisle
ServerWare Corporation