Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] BMR boot server on Solaris

2007-10-10 14:05:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] BMR boot server on Solaris
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: rcarlisle <rcarlisle AT serverwarecorp DOT com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:42:06 +0000
On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 07:57:56AM -0400, rcarlisle wrote:
> Hi all, I am new to BMR and trying to load up a boot server on a Solaris
> platform.  The BMR documentation says that bootp, NFS, and tftp is required
> on all Unix Boot servers, but Solaris does not support bootp.  I have tftp
> turned on, is that all I really need?  If I do need bootp, how do I enable
> it on Solaris?

Namespace collision.  I'm not sure what BMR really needs, but Solaris
SPARC traditional diskless booting needs the 'rpc.bootparamd' daemon
running.  This "bootparam" (possibly shortened to "bootp") server can be
easily confused with the UDP/67, UDP/68 (RFC 951/1542) BootP protocol in
conversation.

Solaris does not ship with a standalone BootP daemon, but the DHCP
daemon can be configured to answer BootP queries (which is not necessary
for diskless boot support).  You could certainly install a standalone
BootP server if you wanted to (and if you weren't running DHCP).

My suspicion (having never looked into BMR) is that they're building off
the existing diskless boot framework for Solaris SPARC diskless boot and
will use rpc.bootparamd (/etc/bootparams) for configuration.