Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup on Linux (RH4) vs. NetBackup on Solaria s

2007-10-07 23:12:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup on Linux (RH4) vs. NetBackup on Solaria s
From: "Boris Kraizman" <sysadminzone AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 04:52:59 +0200
Hi,

Yes, as I said. I am a RHCE as well, but I will vote for Solaris with NetBackup. If you have Solaris in place, stick with it further, it is going to be a better choice.

On 10/6/07, Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org> wrote:

>I see no difference in support from Veritas for Solaris or Linux. My opinion, of course.

I disagree.    New features have typically been released on Solaris first with Linux to follow.  For example, doing Windows Flash Backups was initially supported on a Windows master server, then a Solaris master server, and then eventually a Linux master.  In terms of FlashBackup clients, Linux doesn't support this option until NBU 6.5.  Ditto with Linux ACL support – that's 6.5 as well.  We're doing FlashBackups on Solaris today but have to wait until we upgrade to 6.5 before our Linux clients can catch up.  Even then, only ext3 support is there – not even VxFS on Linux!

If you're going to live on the leading edge, then Solaris is certainly a better choice than Linux.

That said, we have a Solaris master and a Linux master.  The Linux master is in a remote office and is running on an Intel platform where Sun wasn't a politically acceptable choice.  It has not yet caused us any grief but the environment is small enough that just about anything would work.

FWIW, we've seen similar cases with Veritas VVR support – it's *much* better on Solaris than Linux.

Solaris, at least for a while, will continue to be the enterprise platform of choice for the majority of customers.  I expect this to change over time.  I'm a Red Hat Certified Engineer so don't put me in the Linux hater camp.

            …/Ed

--

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD

Mounds View, MN, USA