Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Adequate Media Server hardware to feed 3 LTO3 drives(50 clients)

2007-10-05 14:50:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Adequate Media Server hardware to feed 3 LTO3 drives(50 clients)
From: "Bobby Williams" <bobbyrjw AT comcast DOT net>
To: "'Aleksandr Nepomnyashchiy'" <anepomn AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 14:23:35 -0400
I have installed V-240's with 2 CPU's and 8GB RAM with 2 single ported HBA's
pushing 3 LTO-3's per HBA.

I could consistently get 100MB/sec (as reported by NetBackup bptm logs) on
1TB backup streams on 2 drives simultaneously.  The other drives would be
doing some backups, but nothing major.

The biggest problem that you will have is getting the data into the media
server, not getting it out.

I had to use multiple NIC's (multi-homed) to get the above rates
concurrently.

You will have to have some beefy clients to be able to send you the data
fast enough to get good throughput.

Bobby Williams
2205 Peterson Drive
Chattanooga, Tennessee  37421