Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Full diskstaging unit

2007-10-03 23:34:48
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Full diskstaging unit
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 22:11:40 -0500
> I have NB 6.0 mp5 running backups to a disk cab. All data on disk cab
> is so being staged to tape.
> The disk cab is always nearly full, so we can do fast restore from
> disk.
>
> When new backup jobs running it will delete the oldest images on the
> disk cab. But yesterday some policies failed, with status 129, disk
> stating unit full.
>
> Why? NB should automatically have deleted files so that a new backup
> could run.

This depends on how long it takes to destage the files that are on the DSSU
versus how long it has to wait.  There are also situations where it *has* to
fail the active job - for example, it can only destage images that are
complete.  If multiple large jobs are active and the destager has to run, it
may find that there's nothing it can do except fail the active jobs.

NBU in general does a pretty good job, but in some situations, you'll still
get a 129.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD