Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Can't import Backup Exec 10 tapes into Netbackup 6.0 MP4 - Not supported!?!

2007-10-02 17:44:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Can't import Backup Exec 10 tapes into Netbackup 6.0 MP4 - Not supported!?!
From: "Baron Network" <baronnetwork AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 14:25:41 -0700
Hi all,

Having an issue importing a few backup exec tapes into my Netbackup 6.0 environment.  Support is not being very helpful on this.

Source tapes:

Backup Exec 10 for Windows (offsite and very far away)

Destination:
Netbackup 6.0 MP4 for Solaris

This is the second set of tapes we've tried to complete.  The first set of tapes we had to add the media in manually (grabbing the GUID using robtest and ltid -tables) but the first tape ended up being bad (they were shipped over).   So we have a second set of tapes now.

Now these all of these tapes will not pass a Phase 1 import at all.  VMPHYINV and bpimport both report:

"Unable to read tape header from media in slot # 126"

BPTM logs show the header is format MTF1, not BE-MTF1 like Backup exec writes.

Finally I got another tech who reported that Netbackup 6.0, or even 6.5 officially only supports importing Backup Exec 9.x tapes.  Nowhere in the documentation, even NBU 6.5 admin guide, does it say it supports restoring Backup Exec 10 tapes.  He also mentioned that they changed the write format with Backup exec 10.

Has anyone done this and if so, is there anything speciai to it?

Thanks

- Hadrian