Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Password Protection

2007-09-29 19:06:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Password Protection
From: Dennis Peacock <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:47:56 -0700
Backup Encryption within Netbackup is a real performance killer!!!!

We tested this on a fairly large server.
Standard file level backup, using 10 LTO-3 tape drives and average speed was
80MB per second per tape drive.

Next, turn on backup encryption for the exact same backup policy, start the
backup to the same 10 LTO-3 tape drives and we got an average speed of 8MB (not
a typo here folks....Eight) per second per tape drive.

It's best to go with LTO-4 tape drives and do hardware encryption of the backup
performance hit will smack you really hard.  [Shocked]