Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Partial Image

2007-09-27 15:45:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Partial Image
From: Jon Bousselot <jon_bousselot AT sd.vrtx DOT com>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:18:48 -0700
I have done something similar, but had good fragments on tapes 1, 2, and
3, but not 4.  Tape 4 was somehow damaged to the point that NBU could
not read it successfully.   Netbackup GNU TAR could read it, but since
it was a windows client image, every file that came out of the tar
archive was prepended with a few KB of data, making them unusable.

I opened a support ticket and they gave me some yet undocumented methods
for telling NBU to catalog everything it possibly could without failing
and deleting the catalog data.
The magic touch file they said to use was called  'debug_add_files' and
I cannot find it in the generic support page.

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/{client name}/{number created by phase 1
import}/tmp

When this is created, NB creates catalog information for what it can
successfully and sequentially read.  There were some other steps that
involved editing some text files in that directory, moving directories
up one level, and then you can browse the file data like a normal
restore.  I'm not sure how this would work without fragment 1, and there
was no documentation for getting data beyond the corrupted fragment.

Since the error on my media was for a windows client, I was at a
disadvantage because the GNU TAR did not properly extract the files.  If
the data is still in your catalog, you could try guessing which file
started at fragment 7, and select everything after that.  Or dive right
in with tar.