Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?

2007-09-25 01:38:46
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>, "Clem Kruger" <clem AT re-thinking-it DOT com>, <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>, "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 01:23:27 -0400
I'm not convinced either.  Although our numbers are a little different,
you and I end up roughly at the same place.  There are a number of
vendors whose de-dupe targets top out at about 200-300 MB/s, which is
roughly the speed of 2-3 LTO-3 drives, depending on how well you use
them.  If you need more than that, you need to buy another box. (BTW,
Data Domain's numbers have increased to about 200 MB/s.)

These numbers work just fine when we're talking backups via the LAN to
LAN-based backup servers.  You're going to need at least two, possibly
three network-based backup servers to generate 200 MB/s.  Assuming 70
MB/s or so per master/media server, you buy one de-dupe unit per three
master/media servers or so.  You can scale pretty far that way.  You
will need to make sure that backup A is always sent to de-dupe unit A,
and backup B is always sent to de-dupe unit B, and so on.  (If you send
backup B to de-dupe unit A after initially sending it to de-dupe unit A,
its first backup will not get de-duped against anything, resulting in a
significant decrease in overall de-duplication ratio.)  While you won't
get as big of a de-dupe ratio as you would if you could have a single
device that could do 1000s of MB/s, there is an argument to be made that
you won't get much de-dupe when de-duping the backups of server A
against those of server B -- unless they have similar data.  So a very
large setup like this will require a bit of planning, but I think the
benefits outweigh the extra planning required.

Now, if you happen to have a SINGLE SAN media server that needs MORE
than 200 MB/s, then you're going to want a device that can handle that
level of throughput. This is going to be a pretty big server, BTW, as a
200 MB/s device can back up about 6 TB in 8 hours.  And notice I said
SAN media server, not a regular media server, as a regular media server
isn't going to be able to generate more than 200 MB/s, as it's getting
its backups via IP. But a SAN media server is backing up its own data
locally, so it can go much faster.  This also means you're really
looking at a SAN/block device, which means you're really looking at a
VTL.  (Yes, I'm aware of the Puredisk storage unit around the corner.  I
think you'll find it's not going after this part of the market.)

If you need this kind of throughput, there are a few products that are
advertising several hundred or thousands of MB/s within a single de-dupe
setup.  These are the newer kids on the de-dupe block, of course, so
they're not going to have as many customer references as the vendors
that have been selling de-dupe as long.  But from what I've seen,
they're worth a look.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies