Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?

2007-09-24 02:42:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 02:28:33 -0400
A 1 TB array that can store 20 TB of de-duped data in it will cost about
$20K.  (A general rule of them is to base your pricing on a 20:1 de-dupe
ratio, then price it at about $1/GB of effective storage.  If you do
that, you'll be close to list price of a lot of products.)  At that
cost, it's very close to the price of a tape library fully populated
with tapes and drives.

As to whether or not it's worth it for a given setup, you should
obviously test it vs the pricing, but it's very uncommon for it to not
make sense financially.  I can think of three setups that are known
issues:

1. If you're using it for disk staging and not storing any retention on
it.  A lot of the de-dupe comes from de-duping full backups against each
other.

2. If you're trying to de-dupe non-dedupe-able things, such as seismic
data, medical imaging data, or any other data types that are
automatically created by a computer (as opposed to database entries and
Word docs.)

3. If your backup product doesn't do full backups of filesystem data,
you will not get as much as other people.

Everything is also negotiable.  If you've tested and you're not getting
the advertised de-dupe ratio, use that in the negotiation stage.  If
they generally advertise 20:1 and you're only getting 10:1, it would
seem reasonable to assume a 50% discount.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies