Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How to Identify Parent Jobs ?

2007-09-21 17:22:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How to Identify Parent Jobs ?
From: Jared.Seaton AT mylanlabs DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:02:46 -0400

NetBackup 5.1 does not have parent jobs for multiple stream backups, 6.0 and up does.

Now I did see your posts between 9/14 and 9/18 of this same question on the symantec forums here:

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=21&message.id=37101

 You said you were speaking of *retries* and not really parent/child jobs (which only exists in 6.0+).  I am going to copy and paste the answer which you had stated explained exactly what you were inquiring about....

""""""If a job fails, and you have retries enabled on the master, then the details of next/subsequent "attempts" are stored within the "tries" array inside the "bpdbjobs -all_columns" record - i.e. it's a variable length, variable count data structure.

If the number of tries expires then the job is marked as failed.  If the try window expires yet the schedule session window is still open (and possibly "retry after run day" is enabled if a frequency based policy) then another completely new job will be submitted, and NetBackup does NOT maintain a link back to any previously failed JobID, because this is a brand new job.

The ParentID field in the bpdbjobs reports, is a v6.x construct that refers to in-line copies, and other multi-levelled jobs, and is not a link back to previously failed JobIDs.

HTH.
Dave."""""""

Jared M. Seaton
Recovery Administrator
Mylan Laboratories Inc.
304-554-5926
304-685-1389 (Cell)

"Tsilva" <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

09/21/2007 04:41 PM
Please respond to
VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu]  How to Identify Parent Jobs ?

Any suggestions on how to identify parents in v5.1?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally privileged, proprietary and/or confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, duplication or other use of this message and/or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and its attachments.  Thank you.