Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Script to label expired tapes in a VTL

2007-09-21 12:51:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Script to label expired tapes in a VTL
From: swaltner <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:32:27 -0700
We deployed a VTL last month, which has been working very nicely. This is in a
NetBackup 5.1 environment with the VTL attached to our Solaris based master
server as well as to our NAS server for local NDMP backups. One thing I'd like
to do is over-subscribe on the back-end storage, but before I do that I'd like
to automate the process of freeing up the disk space used in the VTL when a
NetBackup tape is expired. Just curious if anyone has already written such a
beast and would like to share with me as a starting point.

If not, I suspect I'll use the following logic:

- Every day (at noon??), query the robots defined in the VTL and keep a record
of tapes that are allocated.
- When a tape goes from allocated to non-allocated from one day to the next,
use a command like the following to erase the tape's contents:
bplabel -erase -o -d dlt -m VTL123

This would write a small label at the beginning of the virtual tape, causing
the VTL to drop all the other data that had been stored on the tape.

Any reason this wouldn't work? Any gotchas with writing this script that I
should look out for?

Steve