Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Reg: Schedule backup

2007-09-20 12:42:52
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Reg: Schedule backup
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:14:47 +0000
On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 07:01:51AM -0700, d w wrote:
> Please do not remove the pempersist file without direction from Technical
> support.  The technote is in the process of being pulled from the website.
>
>   If you remove pempersist when jobs are canceled/suspended prior to
> recycling NetBackup, it is possible to break the parent and child job
> associations and cause missed/skipped backups.

First I've heard of that.  But then again, I'm only doing it when I miss
backups anyway.  :-)

>   If you are skipping backups I would take a look at whether or not
>   you are using frequency based backups vs. calendar.  With frequency
>   based backups, if your frequency is set to one week, you must BOTH
>   have an open window and a minimum of a week must have elapsed since
>   the last backup.  If this is the case - change the frequency to once
>   every 5 days and see if that helps.

Don't know about the OP, but on my problem policies, I'm calendar only.
Sometimes one or two of the 'full' backups just don't get scheduled.

>   Is this 5.x or 6.0?

For me, 6.0, 6.0MP3, and 6.0MP4.  MP4 is better, but they never
disappeared.

>   /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbpemreq -tables screen > /tmp/tables.out
>
> Take a look at the tables.out file generated and locate the policy in
> question.  When is this full backup due to run?

It's been a while since I've done this.  My fuzzy memory says the last
time I looked at this during a problem, the actual schedule times were
correct, but the 'dont_sched' flag was set to 1.  After clearing
pempersist and restarting, 'dont_sched' went to 0.

I have a number of fulls scheduled for the end of the month.  If I have
one that doesn't start, I'll pull the tables output for it.