Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Moving a master server to an existing media server + upgrade

2007-09-18 07:17:01
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Moving a master server to an existing media server + upgrade
From: "Martin Ruslan" <mit.martin AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Gregory Demilde" <gdemilde AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:56:12 +0700
Hi George,
can you give us the link for moving the emm database docs?
Or maybe anyone can help?
Thanks.

mTz

On 9/18/07, Gregory Demilde <gdemilde AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
Well I have just migrated a master server from a V440 to another V440
in order to put it in cluster. Upgrade from 5.1 MP6 to 6.0 MP4 was
part of it.

I upgraded first to 6.0 MP4 and then moved to the new server. As long
as you keep the same name there is no real gotchas. But there are
things to know especially with the EMM database in 6.0 :

1) Only move the datafiles. They start by EMM or NBDB. There is a
technote about moving the EMM database to another server.

2) When you moved the datafiles you need to verify or ugrade it.
create_nbdb will dot it for you. Originally it is intended to create
an empty NBDB but I found you can use it to validate and upgrade.  In
order to do so you need to start the rdbms without loading the
database.

Otherwise flat files can be copied over

Greg

On 9/18/07, Wessam Aly <WAly AT mobinil DOT com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Netbackup 5.1 MP4
> I currently have a master server on hpux 11.11 and a media server on aix. I
> want to move the master server to an itanium machine (hpux 11.23) and
> upgrade to 6.5.
>
> Problem is, I don't have enough time since fixing the inconsistencies of the
> database with support takes a lot.
>
> What I want to do is comission the "new master server" only as a media
> server and start backup right away. Eventually I want to move the database
> from the old master server to the new master server and make the new machine
> the master.. Then decommision the old hpux server.
>
> I'm planning to upgrade to 6.0MP4 sometime after I run the setup of new
> machine as media server. Then when I move to new machine as master, I will
> upgrade to 6.5.
>
> Is all that do-able ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wessam Aly
> Sr. UNIX & Storage Expert
> HPUX-CSA Certified Systems Administrator
>
> *******
> IMPORTANT
>
> Confidentiality: This e-mail communication and any attachments thereto
> contain information which is confidential and are intended only for the use
> of the individuals or entities named above. If you are not the intended
> recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
> distribution or the taking any action in reliance on the contents of these
> documents is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. Please notify us of
> your receipt of this e-mail in error and delete the e-mail and any copies of
> it.
>
> Monitoring/Viruses: Mobinil may monitor all incoming & outgoing e-mails in
> line with current legislation. Although we have taken steps to ensure that
> this e-mail and attachments are free from any Virus, we advise that in
> keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are
> actually virus free.
>
> The Egyptian Company for Mobile Services (Mobinil)
> www.mobinil.com
> *******

Gregory DEMILDE
Email : gdemilde AT gmail DOT com