Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5 VTL direct to tape

2007-08-30 17:55:28
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5 VTL direct to tape
From: "Clem Kruger" <clem AT re-thinking-it DOT com>
To: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>, "Tim Hoke" <thoke AT northpeak DOT org>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:26:51 +0200
Hi all y'all,

Yes Curtis, there some really cool tools. One will not need to use VTL's
as you will be able to write to any DASD on any array.

The one thing that I do not like is the fact that SCSI tapes and
libraries are emulated on the VTL's. This I found out the hard way when
we had a glitch on the SAN and had a 6 minute delay connecting to the
VTL. The OS reported a SCSI error.

I personally would rather get away from real tapes and only use DISK. I
would use the replication that I believe will be included in the
software to copy the backup to the offsite facility along with the
catalog.

Kind Regards,
Clem Kruger