Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backups getting status code 52 while vaulting is running.

2007-08-24 13:56:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backups getting status code 52 while vaulting is running.
From: "Kevin Whittaker" <Kevin.Whittaker AT syniverse DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:29:01 -0400

All,

Ok, I have a NetBackup 5.1MP6 environment with 27 Media servers that only back themselves up usually for ORACLE databases.

I have 1 L700e with 11 9940B tape drives, and a EMC CDL720 which is a virtual tape library.

I backup to the CDL and vault to the L700.  I have always done the alternate read configuration so that my vaulting all occurs on the master server.

Let's take 3 media servers which had a virtual L700e with 20 drives configured for them and the master server.

The master server had 4 dedicated tape drives, and each media server had 4 dedicated tape drives.  I had the master server have 4 drives for backups and to access the tapes from the 3 media servers during vaulting.

** Now **  I have configured that robot that had 20 total drives as SSO drives.  The master server, and all 3 media servers have access to all 20 drives.

In the past, when a tape was in use from the virtual robot by vaulting the backup would just say it could not find the tape and continue.

Now that we have the whole robot in SSO, the backups are waiting for the mounting of the tape and timing out instead of going to the next available tape!

Does anybody know how to avoid this issue?

Kevin