Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP recover question

2007-08-20 14:50:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP recover question
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:17:23 -0700 (PDT)
> I have a set of NDMP backups from OnStors and  Netbackup 6.0 MP4.
>
> We can do file level restores with this set up.
>
> Now, does anyone have a trick to forcing Netbackup to restore to a
> place other than an OnStor.

Probably not.

NDMP does not specify a file format, only that it feeds an opaque stream
to the backup device.  That stream could be in any format the NDMP host
wants it to be, so there's no way for NetBackup to restore it locally.

The only supported way to do an NDMP restore is on the same kind of
server.  Some NDMP hosts have a common format, so if you could restore
the data from Netbackup, you might be able to read through it with other
tools (Network Appliance backups are compatible with Sun's ufsdump
format).