Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VMWARE Backup question

2007-08-16 12:50:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VMWARE Backup question
From: "Steven L. Sesar" <ssesar AT mitre DOT org>
To: Jeff Lightner <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:32:36 -0400
I don't believe that any NBU client exists that has hooks into vmfs. This would be a requirement of any backup agent for ESX. One *could* quiesce the vmfs filesystem and take a standard filesystem backup of the .vmdk files, but that would require downtime on all guest hosts running on a given ESX box.

Jeff Lightner wrote:

6.0 (and 5.1 and probably earlier) have “Linux” clients but they’re aimed at RedHat Linux rather than the Vmware Linux.

One *might* be able to force the RH one to run on Vmware but it would likely take some work and would be unsupported.