Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Synthetic fulls Diff Inc VS cumulative Inc

2007-08-14 17:52:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Synthetic fulls Diff Inc VS cumulative Inc
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: "Cruice, Daniel \(US - Glen Mills\)" <dcruice AT deloitte DOT com>, "rcarlisle" <rcarlisle AT serverwarecorp DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:31:27 -0400
My guess is that you would get a performance boost using cumulative, because NBU would only have to "splice" two backups.  The full and the one cumulative versus the full and a week's worth of differentials.  You also get the added advantage of if a tape fails you're covered (unless its your most recent.)  Of course, you also get longer backup windows for the cumulative (versus diff), the same data written to tape multiple times (potential tape / disk cost issue.)  Given that you are using disk, I'd say differentials is probably the way to go all around.

-Jonathan