Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Strange Netbackup/Library Behavior

2007-08-08 06:45:17
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Strange Netbackup/Library Behavior
From: "Marianne Van Den Berg" <mvdberg AT stortech.co DOT za>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 12:14:32 +0200
Sounds like a mapping mismatch.

You need to verify that the robot drive positions is mapped to the
correct O/S device name in NetBackup.

When a backup starts and a tape is mounted, NetBackup waits for the tape
mount to be confirmed. If the tape mount is not confirmed on the correct
O/S device name, but in stead it finds a tape that fits the criteria on
another drive, it will proceed with the backup.

At the end of the backup, a 'rewind & offline' is sent to the O/S device
name. If the mapping is wrong, you will understand that the dismount
cannot take place.

If you have a VERBOSE entry in your vm.conf, you will find the evidence
in syslog (Unix) or Event Viewer App (Windows).

It might look like this (extract from Solaris messages file):

Aug 15 04:54:47 BFe450 tldcd[21016]: [ID 183166 daemon.error] TLD(0) key
= 0x5, asc = 0x3a, ascq = 0x0, MEDIUM NOT PRESENT
Aug 15 04:54:47 BFe450 tldcd[21016]: [ID 841094 daemon.error] TLD(0)
Move_medium error: CHECK CONDITION

Also check bptm log for dismount errors.

You should be able to obtain drive serial #'s from the display panel on
the robot (Drive0 on the robot will be position 1 in NBU).
Run 'tpautoconf -t' to see how the serial #'s are mapped to O/S device
names.
Check if NBU config is correct by comparing the above with 'tpconfig -l'
output. (commands in volmgr/bin)

Also see TechNote http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/259090.htm

Regards

Marianne