Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Schedule coordination question

2007-08-02 17:13:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Schedule coordination question
From: dbwallis <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:02:32 -0700

Greenberg, Katherine (... wrote:
> It will do it by default, based on the backup that has not run in the
> longest time being run first.
>

> http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/268644.htm

This is what I see happening:

The full backup window is 8:00 am Tuesday to 8:00 am Wednesday. Daily
incrementals run from 6:00 pm to 6:00 am daily.

The full backups kick off at the scheduled time. 6:00 pm rolls around, and
since the fulls are still running, the incrementals queue up. They don't
actually start running until sometime early Wednesday. Come 6:00 Wednesday
night, some incrementals are still running, and some of the Wednesday night
incrementals get delayed, and sometimes it takes days for everything to get
caught up.

SInce there isn't much need to run a full and incremental on the same file
system at the same time, I'd prefer just to skip the incrementals on Tuesday
(and Wednesday too, for that matter, since the full backups can run into
Wednesday sometimes) to avoid this problem.

--
David