Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Has anyone done benchmarking of any sort with..

2007-07-31 12:26:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Has anyone done benchmarking of any sort with..
From: "Forester, Jack L" <jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:02:55 -0400
I'll back this up, too.  We're going to install a couple large VTLs this
year, and Symantec wants to license only by size.  For the size we are
getting, it would be cheaper to license by size only if we were going to
configure over 100 virtual drives on each one.  I blasted them over
their VTL license as the value of the VTL comes from the VTL itself, not
the extortion fee you have to pay Symantec to permit you to use it with
NetBackup.  I suggested that they over both options - license by size or
license by number of drives - whichever is most cost effective for the
customer.

Jack L. Forester, Jr.
UNIX Systems Administrator, Stf
Lockheed Martin Information Technology