Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How to run multiple polices on the same clientsimultaneousl

2007-07-30 16:31:45
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How to run multiple polices on the same clientsimultaneousl
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:18:28 -0400
There are a few things at work here:

1. Number of simultaneous jobs per client

    Make sure the default, global setting of 1 is changed.
         (It's under master server properties.)

    Make sure that someone hasn't set a bpclient max jobs setting
         (either bpclient command, or master server properties ->
clients)

2. Number of simultaneous jobs per policy

    Make sure there isn't a max jobs per policy setting
    (default is 99, leave it alone)

3. Number of simultaneous jobs per storage unit

   I recommend setting this to 99 and throttle in the schedule.

4. Number of simultaneous jobs per schedule

   The default is 1.  You've got to increase it to something more
   than that.

Now, if all these are set to something higher than 1, then multiple jobs
will run per client.  As to whether or not a given client will use
multiple devices simultaneously, that's going to be up to how many
devices there are available.  If a given client generates three jobs,
and there's a storage unit (3 above) that allows 3 or more jobs, and the
schedule running the backup (4 above) says that it's allowed to mpx 3 or
more jobs, then it looks to see how many jobs it already has.  If it has
none, then that one device will get all three jobs.  If you have a
storage unit/schedule mpx value of 4, and each of your four devices
already has three jobs going it, then the four jobs will be sent to four
different devices.

Does that clarify things?

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies