Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN Backups

2007-07-30 08:59:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN Backups
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com
To: "Shultz, Perry" <Perry.Shultz AT allstate DOT com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:44:13 -0400

We have been running the scripts successfully for the past 5 years.  Is this Windows or UNIX.?

What error do you get in the script's log file named  start_*..out?  That will help.
Be sure the script is executable.

Here are some things to check.

The .sh script runs as root on UNIX system.
We modified the sample scripts for our environment in the following ways.  ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID
and ORACLE_USER. and the NB_ORA_SCRIPTS must be set for your environment
 From the .sh script.
echo "`date` ----------------Beginning of Script------------"
echo "Script name: $0"

ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2
export ORACLE_HOME

ORACLE_SID=scdb
export ORACLE_SID

ORACLE_USER=oracle

NB_ORA_SCRIPTS=/u01/rman
Check the output of the .rcv script to see that you are connecting to the recovery catalog and the target database correctly.

I can help better if I see the log from the script.

=============================
Carl Stehman
IT Distributed Services Team
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

"Shultz, Perry" <Perry.Shultz AT allstate DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

07/27/2007 03:28 PM

<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] RMAN Backups

We have been running RMAN backups for several years.  But, our DBAs have always submitted them outside of NetBackup (manually defining the environmental variables required, etc.).  RMAN initiates the connection with NBU and everything functions.  I am doing some testing where I would like to use their scripts, but initiate them from the NetBackup scheduler as an Automatic backup.  When I execute their shell script, I get a Status 6 - indicating it could not backup the requested files and showing the full qualified path to the script in the file list.  There is no evidence that the script was even submitted.

Any ideas?  We are using NBU 6.0 in a very large installation but have always used manually, external submission of backups.  So some of the nuances of scheduling internally are new to us - especially related to the Oracle RMAN agent.

Thanks,

[...]

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI"). This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies. PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email communication. PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such communications.