Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] retentions

2007-07-24 17:40:21
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] retentions
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "'Dyck, Jonathan'" <Jonathan.Dyck AT cognos DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:19:20 -0500
This doesn't really address all of the issues.  In order for this to work,
you have to know what the schedule of the jobs are supposed to be.  We've
got a ton of backups that only run monthly and another ton that only run
semi-annually.  Unless I sit down with a calendar, telling when the last
full backup was and comparing that to what it should be is not going to be
trivial.

What's important to know is not when the last backup was, but when the last
backup was *supposed to be*.  To do that, you need to dig into the scheduler
and that is where it gets tough.  For one client having a weekly full is
supposed to be normal.  For another, I may not try to back it for 6 months
and that's perfectly normal.

Reports like this are great if you have a simple environment and everybody
does your standard daily/weekly/monthly style backups.  Not everybody does
their weekly fulls on a weekend and incremental during the week and calls it
a day.  Any backup software can do that.

I've got similar issues with Aptare's projections for tape consumption.  In
our environment it's absolutely useless since it's based on the day of the
week and not on the NetBackup schedules.  If it really wanted to a fantastic
job (hint, hint), dig into the policies and schedules, its own historical
database, and realize that the 2TB backup I did 6 months ago will be done
again.  I've got about 100TB of storage on a semi-annual backup schedule.
To be able to get accurate estimates of those jobs coming up would be
sweet...

Again, there's no point in telling me when the last backup was.  What I want
to know is if the backups are getting done when they're supposed to be done.
This gets even more complicated when you've got multiple policies for the
same client - something that in some cases you *have* to do.

Backup reporting and auditing is hard.  StorageConsole does a good job at
what it's attempted to bite off but it could still get better.  And yes, I
realize that our environment is non-traditional and that sometimes we're
just not going to get a solution unless we write it ourselves.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org