Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Ejecting a recalled vault tape

2007-07-23 14:25:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Ejecting a recalled vault tape
From: tburrell <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:11:46 -0700
We run a separate vault job for it.

Once the tape is re-inserted, NetBackup should know that it's no longer in the
vault.  At least- it always has for us.

Basically, we assume that you want the tape to come back out of the library
with the usual eject, so we run a separate job before the regular vault.  This
job doesn't do a catalog backup, it just grabs tapes that are more than a month
old (our regular job gets all the tapes newer than that) and going back several
years.

Since there are rarely more than 1 or 2 in the library, they just sit in the
MAP until the regular vault job runs, which fills the rest of the MAP.  Then
the operators just remove all the tapes at once.  Our offsite vendor gets 2
lists of tapes, the correct return dates are included in the transmission and
Netbackup knows where everything is.

Plus- no one forgets to re-vault a tape.

Tom