Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] retentions

2007-07-19 20:39:41
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] retentions
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "'Brandon Zermeno'" <Brandon.Zermeno AT pulte DOT com>, <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:28:43 -0500
> This is what I am looking for. We have had nothing but useless junk
> from Command Central and Advanced Reporter and I have no faith in the
latest
> version Backup Reporting. Does Aptare manage to show you when the last
> backup was run successfully?

Aptare StorageConsole absolutely does this.  Bring up a Mission Control
report and it will quickly when the last successful backups was (a blue dot)
vs a warning (a yellow dot) vs a failure (red dot).  You will get this per
file system.  The default home page for StorageConsole shows you all
failures in the last 48 (I think) hours.  With StorageConsole, there's no
excuse for you not to know about your successes/failures.

What we have actually done here is to push the failures back on to the
server admins.  *EVERY* day that a backup fails, they get a ticket generated
by our Help Desk that they have to do something with.  So your job is to
make sure that NetBackup attempts the job every day and every day it fails,
you notify the admin.  If the admin chooses to ignore the ticket, then the
ticket needs to be automatically escalated to the group manager.  If the
server is down for more than 2 weeks and they've had 14 help desk tickets
generated and ignored them all, it's not exactly your fault that the data is
not recoverable.

On top of this, we generate an "overdue" report every day.  It's not 100%
accurate (it is really, really hard to duplicate the scheduler's
calculations!), but it gives us a good idea as to what's going on.  If we
see that a full backup is overdue for too long, we investigate.

I have worked with other backup products that do solve your problems
differently by utilizing a user-defined number of generations.  Rather than
expiring images by date, they expire by the number of generations so you
would always have, for example, 2 generations to restore from.  You could be
down for 5 years and still have 2 copies of your weeklies.  There are
downsides to that approach, too, of course - no method is without its
drawbacks.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA