Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Windows flash-backup experiences (again)

2007-07-12 17:22:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Windows flash-backup experiences (again)
From: tburrell <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:49:55 -0700

Leidy, Jason D wrote:
> I backup ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES on a few of our clusters, it gets everything.
> For instance, I'll put both physical nodes that host the cluster in a
> policy that uses the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES option. I'm new to the backup
> world, is this not the best practice? It gets the quorum and everything
> (I'm able to restore the data).
>
> Jason
>
> ________
> Attached original message stripped from forum post

Jason- you're kind of right- it will get everything, but at the cost of lots of
errors and problems down the line.  Since Windows servers are still aware of
drives that are owned by the other nodes in the cluster, ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES will
cause Netbackup to try and back up disks which are not accessible from the
current node, and that will generate errors.  In addition, every time a drive
fails from one physical node to another it's seen as needing a new full backup
(assuming it's been gone longer than the backup interval).  Plus- when you want
a restore, you have to figure out which node owned the drive that day.  Not a
problem in a small shop perhaps, but get 3 or 4 decent size file clusters
running for a year or so and things quickly get out of hand.

Best practice (although it's a pain, I'll admit) is to use the virtual node
name, and specify the drives owned by that cluster group.  The trick here then
is to make sure that your Windows Admins don't add/move drives without telling
you.  The upside is: fewer bogus errors, and the backups follow the disks
around on the cluster maintaining your catalog continuity.

Tom