Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup MP level upgrade for Oracle, must bounce?

2007-07-11 15:06:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup MP level upgrade for Oracle, must bounce?
From: Rongsheng Fang <unixlifebox AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:53:47 -0400
Hi,

We have a NetBackup 5.0 backup environment which includes a master
server currently running 5.0 MP5 on RHEL and a couple of Oracle database
servers which all have NetBackup for Oracle 5.0GA installed. The
NetBackup patch levels between the master server and the database
servers are not consistent (it's been like this since i got here). So I
would like to bring everything up to MP7. Since we have a dozen of very
critical production databases running on two of the servers I'll be
patching and it'd be almost impossible to bounce these databases all at
once after the MP patches are applied, so I am thinking to apply these
MP patches first and then individually bounce the databases one by one
whenever we get a downtime for them. Here is my question:

What would happen if the Oracle database didn't get bounced right after
the MP patches are applied? Will it still run on the old library or it
will simply break?

Thanks,

Rongsheng