Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Master Server Preference

2007-07-11 09:34:17
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Master Server Preference
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "'Dibonge, Rudy'" <Rudy.Dibonge AT hmshost DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:20:33 -0500

Hi Rudy,

There are several issues here.  First, you cannot upgrade from Unix to Windows (or Windows to Unix) for a master server.  No form of migration is supported – you would have to build a brand new environment and import your tapes to get them cataloged.

We used to run a Windows master server back in 3.4 days and migrated to Solaris (yes, it was unsupported and really, really ugly to do but we pulled it off).   We don’t regret the migration at all – the management tools on Solaris are *much* more complete than they are on Windows and adding things on (e.g. mrtg monitoring of tape drives, queues, tapes, etc.) is much easier to do.

Earlier this week we rebooted our Windows media server and it took another couple of reboots to bring the tape drives back.  This is unfortunately typical.  In several years, I only remember 1 or 2 reboots required on our Solaris media servers due to tape drive issues.

If you’re a 100% Windows shop, then a Windows master server might make sense (although something like Commvault might make even more sense since end users can do their own restores).  Otherwise, leave the master on a Unix platform of some sort – HPUX, Solaris, or Linux.  I don’t have any AIX experience.

That’s my 2 bits worth.

               …/Ed

--

Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA