Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Doubt about scheduled backups

2007-07-10 19:30:21
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Doubt about scheduled backups
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Daniel Sigrist" <dasigrist AT tpd.com DOT br>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 19:16:44 -0400
Chances are you have a one week frequency, and your duration between the
start/activation  time of your last backup and the end of the window was
greater than 7 days.

|- Last backup -|
|-------------------------- 1 week frequency --------------------|
                                     |- Sunday backup window -|

In the example above, you have last week's backup and the backup window for
Sunday's backup?  A frequency backup with a frequency of one week won't start
until it's been more than 604800 (24 * 7 * 3600) seconds since the start time
of the last good backup.  If 604800 seconds later than that start time is
beyond the window you specified, it won't run until the next time a Window is
open.  See how the frequency period in my drawing goes just past the end of the
backup window?  It won't run until the next time the backup runs.

This is why I use calendar-based schedules for anything other than backups that
run once a day.  I'd create a calendar based schedule that's set to run every
Sunday, tell it to allow it run after run day, and give it an open window on
Sunday-Thursday. That way if it doesn't run on Sunday, it'll run again on
Monday, Tuesday, etc, until it gets it right.  But next week's backup will
still run on Sunday.

If you want to stick with frequency schedules, you could also leave the window
only on Sunday and set the frequency to less than a week (e.g. four days).
That'll make sure the frequency will always be less than the desired time, and
it will always run on Sunday.  (I don't like that method, because I would also
want it to run on Monday/Tuesday night if Sunday failed, but doing that with
frequency backups gets really yucky.)

I also concur with the other person who said run it manually just to see
everything's working ok.  Just realize that if you're using frequency-based
backups, manual backups count.  If you run a manual backup on Monday and tell
it to run a backup once a week, it will NOT run a backup on the next Sunday
because it hasn't been a week since the last backup.  (Another reason why I'm
not a fan.)

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies