Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VTL with NDMP

2007-07-03 13:05:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VTL with NDMP
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:54:38 -0400
>I have a LTO-3 Tape library that can be fiber attached to the Net App
filer. >My concern is that the Net App filer will not be able to stream
to the tape >drives and I will kill my performance since the tape will
have to do lots >of re-positioning and start and stop.

It does heart my good to see somebody thinking about these things.  I
believe you are probably right.

>I was thinking a VTL would be able to match the speed of the net app
box  >thus the performance would be optimized.

That would be correct, sir!

>I have newer and older Net App boxes, assuming a 2GB san, what
performance >can I expect using NDMP?

YMMV.  It's a dump thing.

>Do you see an advantage using VTL in place of multiple LTO-3 drives?

Oh, yeah. NDMP is one of the best uses of VTL.  Give each filer as many
tape drives as it wants and you don't have to share.   Awesome.

>How many streams are possible (Using NBU 6.x)? Do the number of streams
>help in a VTL environment? how about a tape environment?

1 per drive.  That's also an NDMP thing.

>Any recommendations on performance tuning with NBU 6 and NDMP?

Other than filer filesystem and volume constructioin (and more RAM/CPU),
there's not much to do.  There's NOTHING to do on the NetBackup side.
It's all about the filer, the data, and dump.