Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Audit time again, need NetBackup backup success or failure history.

2007-07-02 17:42:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Audit time again, need NetBackup backup success or failure history.
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Peter Buschman" <plblists AT iotk DOT com>, "BeDour, Wayne" <WBedour AT lear DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:26:27 -0400

I would agree with Peter (mostly).  I would add that if the image is there AND it’s of a similar size to other images of that system, then it’s proof.  You can have a failed backup that still saves part of its image to the catalog.  The other problem with bpimagelist is that it doesn’t have the name of what’s in the image.  You can list that the client in question had 5 backups on that day, but unless you have something more than bpimagelist, there’s no way (on the command line) to verify that those five backups contain the filesystems they should contain.  For example, what if the server in question had 6 filesystems?  What if it had 5 filesystems, but this is 5 backups of only 1 of them and not of the other 4?  You could verify this by using the restore GUI, but I don’t know of any way to do it on the command line.  I’m wondering about bpflist, but I’m not sure….

It would be nice if you could use bpflist to grab the initial mount point of the backup (can you?), then script it to show the mount points that were backed up that day.  That still doesn’t solve the first problem that one of the backups could be partial, etc.

The true audit test, of course, would be to do an alternate restore of the thing.  To hell with logs, baby, give me a restore!

---

W. Curtis Preston

VP Data Protection

GlassHouse Technologies