Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] [ORACLE] Policy Naming ... Best Practices ?

2007-06-14 13:50:37
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] [ORACLE] Policy Naming ... Best Practices ?
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: "Hudson, Steve" <Steve.Hudson AT ironmountain DOT com>, "Wilkinson, Alex" <alex.wilkinson AT dsto.defence.gov DOT au>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:34:01 -0400
I guess you can do it anyway that floats your boat.  I personally try to
limit the number of policies.

We have policies grouping application and server.

We use the following parameters.

1 - script passes the schedule name  (Weekly-Full) to .cmd or .sh
2 - RMAN script calls the $schedule variable with an underscore
(Weekly_Full_) which is the application backup schedule.
3 - We have one script per database in the policy under the selection
list.  If a database doesn't exist on a server that server still has the
script, its just empty (Echo 123 etc..)

With regards to monitoring for success, Netbackup is TERRIBLE at
handling RMAN successes and failures.  We have scripts monitor the RMAN
output logs.

-Jonathan