Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] [RETENTION] Application Backup Schedules ...

2007-06-11 05:00:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] [RETENTION] Application Backup Schedules ...
From: "Wilkinson, Alex" <alex.wilkinson AT dsto.defence.gov DOT au>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:44:12 +0800
Hi all,

Over the past 2 days I have been trying to pull together the mammoth amounts of
information on backing up Oracle via Netbackup/RMAN. In doing so I have been
re-reading lots of the documentation.

One of the pieces of reading that glaringly stood out to me was the following:

PG 78 "NetBackup for Oracle Sys Admin Guide for UNIX and Linux"

   "Retention Frequency-based scheduling:

    The retention period for an Application Backup schedule refers to the length
    of time that NetBackup keeps backup images.  <------------- EEEEEKKKKK !!!!!

    The retention period for an Automatic Full Backup, Automatic Differential
    Incremental Backup, or Automatic Cumulative Incremental Backup schedule
    controls how long NetBackup keeps records of when scheduled backups have
occurred."

If I interpret this correctly this means for all "Application Backup Schedules"
(MSSQL,Oracle,SYBASE etc) - backup images are only being kept for 1 month.

We have always been under the impression that the retention set for "Automatic
Full
Backup" was what NB used to keep backup images e.g. we have that set to 12
weeks, thinking that we could do a restore from 12 weeks in the past.

I hope I am wrong but this is how it looks.

Can someone please comment on the aforementioned ? Have 'I' misinterpreted the
documentation ?

 -aW

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence
Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT
1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact
the sender and delete the email.