Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows Backup of C drive slow

2007-05-24 07:54:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows Backup of C drive slow
From: "Kevin Whittaker" <Kevin.Whittaker AT syniverse DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 07:43:32 -0400

Ok, I am looking for help.

I am running a Solaris 9 master server, with 5.1MP3.  I have 8 windows servers that I backup, 3 of them are 2000, and 5 of them are on 2003 SP2.

Well, I setup the policy for each server to by ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, and also turned on Multistream/Multiplex.

So it kicks off 3 channels:  Shadow, C drive, D drive.

C drive is 2 hardware mirrored disk, D drive is a hardware raid 5 of 4 disks.

Well, the C drive backup takes forever!  As an example from 1 server….

Shadow -- 4 mins (911,909 kbytes)
C drive -- 2 hours 29 mins (49,461 kbytes)
D drive -- 1 hour 54 mins (95,458,574 kbytes)

My exclude list for this server has the standard entries and a few that I have added.
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\*.lock
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\bprd.d\*.lock
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\bpsched.d\*.lock
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\Temp
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\misc\*
*.mdf
*.ldf
C:\Windows\NTUninstall*
C:\Windows\PCHEALTH

I am trying to figure out why it takes so long to backup the C drive.  Should I be excluding something?  I am at a point that I am going to remove the C drive from the backup.  SQLSERVER is running on this box(s).

Kevin