Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Flashbackups and an obvious bug in creating snapshots in 6.0MP4

2007-05-22 21:18:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Flashbackups and an obvious bug in creating snapshots in 6.0MP4
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 20:06:39 -0500

I’m hoping somebody has already worked this case with Veritas/Symantec so I don’t have to…

I’ve got a FlashBackup policy with about 30 volumes defined and the policy is currently set to limit backups to 2 jobs per policy.  However, when the parent job starts up, it creates a snapshot for *all* of the 30 volumes, even though some of them won’t even start processing for several days.   Does this make any sense to anybody?  I would have thought that the right thing to do would be to create a snapshot, back up the volume, and delete the snapshot, and to perform those 3 steps in order in each of the child processes.  By doing it in the parent, the odds are greatly increased that the cache volume will fill before a child process has even started to run on the client (or in the case of virtual servers, a cluster transition blowing away the cache state).

If nobody has reported this before, I’ll open up a ticket with Symantec…

               ../Ed

--

Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA

mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org