Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tuning Windows backups

2007-05-22 21:11:34
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tuning Windows backups
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "'Paul Keating'" <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 19:57:03 -0500
We've run Flashbackups on Windows clients with 250GB - 1TB filesystem sizes,
and Solaris clients with 250GB filesystems (the 500GB volumes are in the queue
to be run).  The policies we're using Flash on currently are all for basically
full or nearly full volumes.  We don't have too many half-empty 1-2TB volumes
that stay empty for very long.

Our Windows clients were averaging about 10 million files per 250GB volume.
Walking that file system not only sucks for NetBackup but the OS doesn't like
it much either.  A couple of those clients on a 32-bit Win2k3 client and you
can watch the box tip over.  64-bit Windows handles it *much* better.

Remember that even though backing up 1TB of nothing may sound really bad, it's
not quite as bad as you think it is since the tape drive is typically going to
compress the heck out of the data.  The network traffic will probably suck
though unless you make the client a SAN media server.

Single file restore for Windows has been available for several years - back in
4.5 I think it got added.  Full volume restore still requires a file system of
*identical* size as the source - it can't even be bigger which is a really
annoying limitation especially given that that SAN arrays don't always present
out to the same size across vendors (e.g. you probably can't create a volume of
exactly 1TB on a Symmetrix whereas you can on an EVA).

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org