Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] for sale nokia n95.............$300usd

2007-05-19 17:04:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] for sale nokia n95.............$300usd
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 16:48:23 -0400
> Doug and I hate SPAM as much as you do.  We have placed
> as many controls on the list and the forum as we could
> possibly place to eliminate it.

Kinda slick how you now come off as co-owner of the Auburn mailing list.
Subtle.  Plausible deniability.  Well done.

> Unfortunately, if someone wants to ignore all those
> warnings and post unsolicited commercial postings in
> an obviously technically-oriented mailing list, the
> only thing we can do is block their address from all

Did I miss something?  That posting was *not* to a technically-oriented
mailing list, it was to _your_ Web portal that you foisted off onto a
technically-oriented mailing list.

You know, "Web portals."  The fastest way to attract drive-by posters
with no stake in the mailing list, no continuity, no contribution, and
generally, no clue.  The way you increase traffic to your site with
little or no benefit to the list and its members.

> other lists just like it), there have been far more posts
> like this one _discussing_ the occasional SPAM than there
> are actual SPAM messages.

Or like yours, disussing it while absolving your own self-promotion of
any responsibility.

> I would say you have two choices when you get such a message:

<Monty Python>
Three.  There are _three_ choices:
</Monty Python>
3.  Eliminate the source.

Apologies to Mr Hughes, Mr Preston and the list for the negative tone;
IMO, there is _nothing_ positive about Webbies diluting a mailing list.
'Nuff said.