Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] scratch pool compliance

2007-05-15 09:48:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] scratch pool compliance
From: juanino at yahoo.com (Jerry)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 06:48:44 -0700 (PDT)
The issue is if during a legal case someone asks for all data pertinent to a
mail server if I would have to produce tapes previously expired.   This would
be very easy to recover the data with an import.  I think the legal fear is
that you *have* to provide the expired tapes or the data on them to be
compliant.  Trashing the header with bplabel might make sense but still would
be very easy to recover with dd and tar (I would think).

I think what I'll end up doing is querying the scratch pool for tapes older
than X dates and moving them into another pool which gets full erased and
thrown back in the sratch pool if needed.  I am also very curious if anyone
else has had similar discussions with their legal departments on such issues.

Is it enough to say that once the image expires it's not reasonably sane to ask
for the data?