Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] scratch pool compliance

2007-05-15 06:13:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] scratch pool compliance
From: Ueli.Schweizer at AGITE-Software.com (Ueli Schweizer)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 12:13:35 +0200
Hi Jerry

There is no way to have NetBackup erase the tapes when they are recycled.
But of course it's possible to write a script. A possible way could be:

Use bperror -media to find the tapes moved to the scratch pool last 24 hour.
Use bplabel to label these tapes. This will not overwrite the data on tape
but will write an EOT marker after the NetBackup label. It's quite difficult
(but not impossible) to retrieve data from this tape.

If you want to overwrite the data:
Mount the tapes using tpreq and write any useless data to the tape, e.g.
using dd command. If the tape is completely overwritten you will get a write
error. After overwriting the data the tape should be labelled.

If you need assistance writing such a script you may contact me.

BTW: Some people think it's necessary to write multiple different patterns
to a tape (or disk) to completely destroy the data.

Cheers

Ueli Schweizer
AGITE Software
Zurich . West Palm Beach . London
Swiss Headquarter:
AGITE Software AG . Boesch 43 . CH-6331 Huenenberg . Switzerland
Direct: +41 79 204 9190 . Phone: +41 41 781 5678 . Fax: +41 41 781 5677
Ueli.Schweizer at AGITE-Software.com . http://www.AGITE-Software.com

backupVISUAL ...
                  ... we make life on backup easy